What do you benefit most from being a member of NCPC?
As a member of NCPC, the Century Club appreciates the opportunity to network with nonprofit professionals, corporate partners, and volunteers dedicated to making a positive impact in our community. Additionally, we enjoy the educational resources NCPC offers and/or connects its members to.
What is your mission?
Our mission is to maximize support for the San Diego community and local youth organizations through the operation of San Diego’s annual PGA TOUR golf tournament, the Farmers Insurance Open. Since 1961, the Century Club has used golf as the platform to showcase San Diego to an international audience, generate revenue for the city, and make a difference in our community by creating programs that benefit at-risk and underserved youth charities.
What do you offer to the community?
The Century Club of San Diego, with support from Farmers Insurance, serves its mission by supporting the critical work of our charitable partners, fueling their abilities to enhance the lives of all San Diegans.
The Century Club’s core charitable program is Champions for Youth program where selected charities receive development and marketing services, volunteer support, and a partial match of the funds raised. The goal of Champions for Youth is to provide the necessary tools and resources to bolster our charity partners’ present and future fundraising efforts and achieve their long-term goals in fulfilling their missions.
The 2021-2022 Champions for Youth organizations were: Just in Time for Foster Youth, New Haven Youth & Family Services, Promises2Kids, San Diego Youth Services, Support the Enlisted Project (STEP), and Words Alive.
Through a unique combination of various means of impact, the Century Club supports the Champions for Youth organizations, Pro Kids, First Tee – San Diego and the Armed Services YMCA San Diego in the following ways:
- Funding – direct and indirect dollars given, whether through donations or by offsetting costs such as covering the credit card processing fees for our partners
- Expertise – opportunities to leverage the skills, resources, or networks of staff, Members, or Farmers to benefit our partners
- Volunteer Support – giving our time through service activities to further our partners’ respective missions
- Unique Experiences – utilizing Tournament experiences or on-course access to expose the youth our charities serve to the game of golf
- Marketing and PR – leveraging the tournament audience, our collective reputation, and our relationships with media outlets to increase the awareness and brand recognition of our charitable partners
Additionally, as San Diego’s only annual event with a national and international broadcast, the Farmers Insurance Open serves as a valuable marketing asset for the local economy. Each year, the Century Club infuses revenue into the local economy by hiring more than 200 vendors, recruiting more than 1,100 volunteers, and attracting fans from all 50 states and 17 countries, generating a $34.3 million economic impact on the City of San Diego.
What was your organization/company’s biggest accomplishment in the past six months/one year?
Welcoming the community back to Torrey Pines in January for the 2022 Farmers Insurance Open after hosting the 2021 tournament without fans because of the COVID pandemic. The quintessential San Diego event felt hollow playing in front of an empty course in 2021. Celebrating the 2022 tournament with our fans again was emotional, gratifying, and necessary for us to fulfill our mission.
What event/program or campaign do you have coming up that you would like to share with our readers?
Volunteer registration for the 2023 Farmers Insurance Open, held January 25-28, opens on Monday, September 12. Like all PGA TOUR events, the tournament is a volunteer-driven effort with our community of volunteers serving in a variety of essential responsibilities. Without our volunteers, we would not be able to execute the event. Reasons to volunteer include:
- Be a part of the inner circle of a premiere stop on the PGA TOUR
- Support an event that helps our economy and local charities
- Boost your resume with volunteer experience
- Build lasting friendships and relationships
- Receive commemorative volunteer apparel
Come out and join in the fun! Visit https://www.farmersinsuranceopen.com/volunteers/ for more information.