REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Philanthropy
LOCATION: On-site in La Jolla, California on the beautiful campus of the University of California, San Diego
FLSA STATUS: This is a full-time, exempt (salaried) position, eligible for a full array of benefits including health and life insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, paid time off (vacation, sick and 11 holidays), and complimentary tickets to Playhouse performances
COMPENSATION: $64,500-$70,000 annually
HOW TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include in the subject line – “Individual Giving Manager”
La Jolla Playhouse is a place where artists and audiences come together to create what’s new and next in the American theatre, from Tony Award-winning productions, to imaginative programs for young audiences, to interactive experiences outside our theatre walls. Founded in 1947 by Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire and Mel Ferrer, the Playhouse is currently led by Tony Award winner Christopher Ashley, the Rich Family Artistic Director of La Jolla Playhouse, and Managing Director Debby Buchholz. The Playhouse is internationally renowned for the development of new plays and musicals, including mounting 108 world premieres, commissioning 70 new works, and sending 33 productions to Broadway, garnering a total of 38 Tony Awards, as well as the 1993 Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre. These works include the Broadway hits Come From Away, Diana and Memphis, all directed by Ashley; The Who’s Tommy; the Pulitzer Prize-winning I Am My Own Wife; and Jersey Boys.
La Jolla Playhouse is committed to diversity in all areas of our work, on and off stage. We lead with our values and encourage individuals with unique perspectives to apply. La Jolla Playhouse is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
STATEMENT OF JOB
The Individual Giving Manager is responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship for mid-level donors and will have oversight of a portfolio of approximately 250 donors/prospects. They will create and execute annual fund renewal/acquisition campaigns to acquire, retain and grow philanthropic support for Playhouse productions and programs. They will have special oversight of managing benefit programs for those who contribute $500 (Center Stage Club), $1,000 (Inner Circle) and $2,500 (Actors Circle) annually. They will collaborate with philanthropy and marketing teams to create a plan for the year that will meet projected annual giving goals. Responsible for the coordination and execution of direct mail, e-mail/social and telemarketing efforts as part of the overall Annual Fund Campaign; accountable for the assessment of the effectiveness of annual appeals and the segmentation of constituencies within the total donor/prospect population to target giving most effectively. They will strive to maintain excellent relationships with our generous supporters through meetings, visits, impact reports and acts of stewardship.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Cultivate and solicit current/prospective donors with a “breakfast, lunch and dinner” approach, building relationships to maximize giving, knowing that the most valuable time spent is either in person or on the phone with these essential individuals. Facetime will happen through attendance at all donor events, unless otherwise specified, including donor benefit events, final dress rehearsals, technical rehearsals, select readings, Board-initiated cultivation events, Innovation Night, Gala, etc. (30%)
- Design, write and implement the direct mail renewal and acquisition (event sweep, subscriber/non-donor) program including pledge forms and payment reminders. (25%)
- Strategize and co-author e-philanthropy campaigns with Marketing Department.
- Strategize, collaborate and train Patron Service team on tele-funding campaigns.
- Oversee Inner Circle Nights, Lounge Nights, POP Tour and Student Matinee performances by managing RSVPS and creating TLC lists for major events. (10%)
- In collaboration with the Stewardship Coordinator, oversees donor benefit fulfillment for Individual Giving. (5%)
- Liaison with Marketing Department for Inter-Departmental meetings and scheduling of graphic design projects. (5%)
- Coordinate with the Learning and Engagement Department to update Annual Giving Opportunities and prepare a schedule of POP Tour performance dates to invite Individual Giving donors. (5%)
- In concert with the Senior Philanthropy Operations Manager, collaborate on Prospect Research process for the team. Contribute to the research of current and prospective donors, as requested by the Associate Director of Philanthropy, preparing donor briefs. (5%)
- Act as a liaison to the Board of Trustees Learning & Engagement Committee and Philanthropy Committee (5%)
- Act as a public face of the Playhouse in the community, representing the Playhouse at outside functions and groups. (2%)
- Collaborate with team on fundraising for special benefit events including Gala, Innovation Night and WOW Festival. (2%)
- Generate lists and reports from Tessitura for use in budgeting and cash flow analysis. (2%)
- Other duties as requested by the Director of Philanthropy & Associate Director of Philanthropy. (2%)
- Performs gift entry and processing; as backup. (2%)
- Develops interdepartmental relationships.
REQUIREMENTS & PROFICIENCIES
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of fundraising experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and techniques.
- Proven track record of success in direct solicitations with individuals and private foundations.
- Effective interpersonal/relationship building skills a must, including the ability to effectively interact with all levels of donors, staff, volunteers, Board of Trustees and interns.
- Exemplary customer service skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and planning skills and the ability to meet goals and deadlines.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Flexibility and adaptability are core to success in our philanthropy department.
- A positive attitude and spirit of teamwork.
- A supreme multi-tasker with the capacity to work comfortably in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment on multiple, ongoing projects.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Suite of programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) preferred.
- Ability to work with highly confidential information in a professional and ethical manner.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to drive and willingness to occasionally run errands, as needed.
- Regular and predictable on-site attendance.
- Available and willing to work nights and weekends – many theatrical events take place during those times.
- Alignment with the mission and values of La Jolla Playhouse.
- A commitment to uphold and support the Playhouse’s Anti-Racism Action Plan.
- A passion for the arts – and more specifically, theatre!
- Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by an FDA approved vaccine is a condition of employment.
- Professional experience working for a nonprofit cultural organization (preferably theatre).
- Comfort with budgets and financial reporting.
- Experience working successfully with volunteers (Board or Committee members).
- Experience with CRM databases. Tessitura or Raiser’s Edge experience is a plus.
- Experience with targeted bulk mail campaigns.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org