- Do you love music?
- Do you enjoy working with people?
- Do you want to make a positive impact in your community?
- Are you organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated?
- Are you comfortable in leadership roles?
- Are you seeking part-time work with a flexible schedule and remote capabilities?
If so, we may have the job for you!
Resounding Joy is San Diego’s primary provider of music therapy and supportive music services, and we are seeking a new team member to restructure and revitalize our volunteer programs. You will have the opportunity to impact the lives of thousands of people every year through recruiting and coordinating music-based ‘Joy Givers’ and administrative ‘Joy Makers’.
Isolation and/or loneliness affect almost half of San Diego’s older adults, according to a 2012 survey. Health risks associated with social isolation have been compared in magnitude to the well-known dangers of smoking cigarettes and obesity. Rates of major depression among older adults are substantially higher in particular subsets of the older adult population, including residents of long term care facilities (14 to 42%) with relocation to congregate living being typically occasioned by health issues and/or loss of a caregiving spouse (Fiske, Wetherell, & Gatz, 2009).
The Joy Giver program addresses depression and loneliness by connecting trained volunteers with isolated older adults. Joy Givers are volunteers trained to use pre-selected music and questions as icebreakers and prompts to promote positive recollection, social connection, emotional expression, and movement. Music, drawn from popular music of the participant’s 20s and 30s, may be live or recorded, depending on the volunteer’s talents. Joy Givers themselves come from all ages – from Junior Joy Givers to independently-living older adults.
As Volunteer Coordinator, you will not only develop new volunteer placements, but also develop and test options so that this program can be replicated nationwide.
Our office is in Sorrento Valley, San Diego. Some travel to events and meetings within the County will be required. Potential for telework with the right candidate.
15 hours a week, with potential for growth. Office hours vary, but expectations are that work is performed between 9am-4pm, Monday-Friday. Some evenings and weekends will be required for special events..
$18 – $22/hour, depending on education and experience. Sick time and vacation time are provided. Mileage is reimbursed for work-related travel.
Volunteer Coordination (avg 8 hours/week)
- Update and maintain volunteer protocols and policies.
- In collaboration with program staff, create and maintain accurate, up-to-date position descriptions for all volunteer and internship opportunities.
- Recruit, screen, orient, and match volunteers and interns with appropriate service opportunities.
- Coordinate and manage volunteer training with staff members.
- Provide ongoing support to volunteers and interns throughout their service.
- Record and report all volunteer time and keep accurate, appropriately documented electronic and paper records of service time.
- Maintain individual files on all volunteer and intern staff, ensuring required documentation is complete, accurate and on file.
- Ensure that Resounding Joy’s volunteer website content is updated, and that there is a consistent presence on social media platforms.
- Recognize volunteers and their service through events and communications.
Community Outreach (avg 4 hours/week)
- Lead volunteer-based activities and programs that enrich the lives of isolated older adults.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local schools, businesses and social organizations to establish an active network of volunteers and community resources.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local older adult residential facilities, including establishing volunteer placements.
- Maintain a calendar of volunteer placements and oversee volunteer-facility communication.
- Represent Resounding Joy at volunteer and career fairs and other community outreach opportunities.
- Serve as the staff contact for university internship programs.
Organization Support (avg 3 hours/week)
- Assist in planning and executing special events.
- Participate in program meetings, staff development activities, and fully engage as a member of the team.
- Comply with all policies, procedures, and protocols of the agency.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent strongly preferred.
- 2-3 years of related professional and/or volunteer experience. Event planning and coordination experience and/or resource development experience is a strong plus.
- Leadership and public speaking experience among a variety of ages.
- Proven organizational skills in a complex, multi-tasking environment and the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in multicultural and diverse environments.
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with current and prospective donors and volunteers, partner agencies, clients, and colleagues.
- Strong English communication skills, with the ability to adapt writing to various audiences for informational or marketing purposes.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Workspace; ability to use the internet and other digital tools for data entry, research, and problem-solving purposes.
- Familiarity with popular social media platforms.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a personal, insured vehicle.
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply!
Other Things to Know:
- The Volunteer Coordinator reports to the Director of Engagement.
- Travel is estimated as 2-4 off-site meetings/events per month within the County of San Diego. No overnight travel is required.
- Our work environment is professional but comfortable. Office work may have frequent interruptions or ambient noise/drumming from ongoing music therapy sessions.
- The job requires sitting, standing, bending, driving, and lifting instruments.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: Resounding Joy is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Ready to Apply?
Please email cover letter and resume to Jess Blaisus, Director of Engagement, at firstname.lastname@example.org, by August 31st, 2022.
Employment start date anticipated as September 19th, 2022.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com