Website The Conrad Prebys Foundation
As one of the newest and largest grantmaking organizations in San Diego, The Conrad Prebys Foundation (TCPF) is committed to improving lives and providing opportunities for all San Diegans. Consistent with the legacy of Conrad Prebys, TCPF is dedicated to meeting community needs through impactful grantmaking and strategic initiatives in our key focus areas: visual and performing arts, higher education, youth development, healthcare, and medical research. With assets over $1 billion and grantmaking that will exceed $50 million annually, TCPF is in the early stages of shaping its strategic trajectory and approach to impact for each of its program areas.
LEADERSHIP & CULTURE
The Conrad Prebys Foundation is led by a dynamic senior leadership team dedicated to fostering a culture of individual growth and collective success. TCPF is committed to creating an environment where team members can bring their full and authentic selves and are supported to prosper in work and in life. TCPF’s Chief Executive Officer, Grant Oliphant, joined the team in March 2022. Bringing extensive philanthropic experience from his work in Pittsburgh, Grant’s passion for and wide range of experience with place-based philanthropy has already begun to take TCPF to new heights, through strategic development and a plan for significant operational growth.* Reporting directly to the CEO, the Director of Communications will join our team of 8 (and growing!) talented, mission-driven staff, working collaboratively to build a strong foundation for TCPF, from which we will deliver incredible impact for the San Diego region well into the future.
*For more on Grant’s leadership, see his bio. https://www.conradprebysfoundation.org/grant-oliphant
GROWTH & ADVANCEMENT
As a former Director of Communications at Heinz Family Philanthropies, and prior Board Chair for The Communications Network, our CEO understands and appreciates the role of communications as a strategic lever for advancing major philanthropic impact. In him, the new TCPF Director of Communications will have a strong partner and ally. While this position is initially structured as a 1-person team, additional communications staff could be added as the organization continues to scale. This is an amazing opportunity to help shape the trajectory of a young, entrepreneurial, and incredibly well-resourced philanthropic institution!
BENEFITS & FEATURES
- Salary: $150,000 – $200,000
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage for employee and eligible dependents
- Life, AD&D, and disability insurance
- 3 weeks paid time off
- 40 hours of paid sick leave
- 11 paid holidays
- Normal and reasonable expenses will be reimbursed per company policy including an annual home office stipend, cell phone reimbursement, and mileage
- To encourage the personal philanthropy of employees, the Foundation matches eligible charitable contributions
This is a hybrid role with an office located at 1660 Hotel Circle North, Suite 710, San Diego, CA 92108. Employees work onsite for designated days, allowing for schedule adjustments as the needs of the Foundation and work assignments change.
This is an incredible opportunity to dream BIG and put those ideas and strategies into practice as we help the San Diego community come into the power of its philanthropy. The Foundation is in its strategic planning phase to examine how we can best support community well-being through our grants and other assets. The Director of Communications role offers an exciting opportunity to advance the Foundation’s mission, vision, community relations, and voice to amplify our impact by collaboratively creating and building the strategic communications plan in alignment with TCPF’s goals. Core aspects of the position include:
- Serve as a thought partner and sounding board to the CEO in all areas of communications and external relations.
- Design, implement and manage a communications strategy that supports broad, cross-cutting work, and knits together the needs of multiple program areas.
- Ensure our communications strategy closely supports our impact goals, including developing and leveraging the CEO podcast, community stories, events, and media messaging.
- Articulate the Foundation’s viewpoints, manage PR consultants, and act as lead media contact; develop talking points, blog posts, and other content as needed.
- Maintain a focus on narrative development and community engagement in everything we do.
- Ensure the Foundation has a consistent cadence of content that is relevant, community-focused, and engages grantee and community partners to advance the Foundation’s mission.
- Convey complex social issues in plain and compelling language to diverse audiences.
The Director of Communications will be an action-oriented, hands-on communicator, with experience leading and collaborating with teams. They will be adept at working across sectors and issues, managing resources, and ensuring a wide range of voices are heard. Strong candidates will have the ability to design and implement community engagement programs focused on belonging and agency. The ideal candidate is someone who can bring their life and work experience, skills, talents, energy, and enthusiasm to the organization to help TCPF achieve its goals, embracing a learning and co-creating mindset.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Communications and Impact Strategy Design
- Define and implement the vision for the Foundation’s comprehensive communications strategy, including articulating a clear internal philosophy on the role of communications and how to use the Foundation’s assets to advance our impact and operational objectives.
- Develop methods for community engagement (listening and messaging), creating a unified Foundation voice and mechanisms through which all internal team members can communicate with the broader community, and develop the CEO and Board voice.
- Implement communications activities, including identity, brand, partnerships, community engagement, public events, media outreach, and launches of initiatives.
- Build relationships with senior officials, media, thought leaders, policymakers, partners, and other key audiences; serve as an effective spokesperson and ambassador for TCPF (in conjunction with TCPF leadership team).
- Guide the development of materials needed for video/social media/and infographic content for use on the website, social media, or at events and public speaking engagements, templates, Board materials, and other graphic or written needs.
- Content creation: Write press releases, talking points, blog posts, and other material.
Program Area Guidance
- Partner with program teams to identify communications needs in their fields, as well as specific initiatives which might require communications support, including the nature and timing of all public engagements, media outreach, and partnership alignments.
Organization, Team, and People Development
- Oversee the communications budget and resources to ensure they are used effectively, including the use of external consulting resources for ongoing and periodic work.
- Provide coaching and training to staff and Board members on consistent use of the Foundation’s messaging; creating and communicating a common language around the Foundation’s work.
Please note, a more comprehensive list of duties will be provided during the application process.
- Ability to develop and implement communications strategies at the strategic and tactical levels.
- Fluency in measurement, learning, and evaluation of the strategies and plans in motion.
- Experience in the design and execution of effective PR strategies, leveraging tools and resources for maximum impact.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, written and oral, including a personal presence that is effective and inspirational across a variety of settings and stakeholders.
- Highly collegial with a sense of humor and the ability to keep everything in perspective.
- Exceptional attention to detail, initiative-taking, and flexible with a positive personality and excellent follow-through.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills with the ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Excellent relationship builder with a commitment to collaboration with all stakeholders.
- Functional capacity in building podcast, blog, and social media platforms.
COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
The Conrad Prebys Foundation follows all California and San Diego regulations and ordinances related to COVID-19. Further TCPF adheres to CDC guidelines in determining in-office and onsite protocols in cases of employee exposure.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Conrad Prebys Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a positive and inclusive work environment for all employees. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org