Website Outside the Lens
Outside the Lens is a San Diego media arts education nonprofit.
Outside the Lens seeks a mission-driven Communication Specialist with excellent writing skills, the ability to develop and implement multi-channel content strategy, and an aptitude for storytelling using print and digital media.
Outside the Lens (OTL) activates and amplifies voices of youth through photography, filmmaking, and media literacy, catalyzing change within themselves and their communities. For over 20 years, OTL has brought arts-integrated programming to over 23,500 students in weekly classes, after-school programs, summer sessions, workshops, and teacher training. Their project-based approach is designed to engage students with core academic subjects, creative thinking, and issues important to them to envision and build a more equitable and inclusive world. For more information, visit https://outsidethelens.org/.
Joining Outside the Lens at an exciting moment of growth, the Communications Specialist has access to a dynamic resource of digital assets and stories of community impact. As part of the advancement team, the Specialist will collaborate with other departments to develop a comprehensive content strategy, public relations plan and creative communications that support organizational objectives. The Communication Specialist is responsible for developing and executing consistent messaging, and collaborating for broad brand exposure. Reporting to the Director of Advancement, the Communications Specialist provides critical support to the organization overall, along with key fundraising initiatives.
Outside the Lens is an inclusive arts education nonprofit located in San Diego’s Promise Zone, home to the City’s most culturally rich and ethnically diverse neighborhoods, home to many of the students we support. Our collaborative culture provides employees the opportunity to develop and share their skills and expertise–learning from each other and the communities we work in. With a growth mindset, we exercise our values of transparency, justice, equity, diversity and inclusion both inside and out of the classroom.
Salary Range: $22 – $30/hour ($45,760 – $62,400 annually) commensurate with experience* Medical, dental, and vision insurance
403(b) retirement plan
10 Days of PTO
13+ Paid holidays
Paid Sick Leave
* The salary range provided above indicates the minimum and maximum potential earnings within the specified pay scale. The final salary for an individual hired for this position will be determined by a range of factors, including but not limited to their professional and academic background, training, job responsibilities, and specific business and organizational requirements. Please note: salary decisions are tailored to the unique circumstances of each individual hire.
Duties & Responsibilities
Content Creation and Engagement
○ Develop and implement a content strategy to engage donors, volunteers, and other stakeholders using email marketing, social media, and the website ○ Create and curate engaging content that aligns with the organization’s mission, including text, images, and videos for email marketing campaigns, social media platforms, and the website
○ Manage and maintain the organization’s social media presence on platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
○ Monitor social media channels, respond to inquiries, and facilitate meaningful interactions with followers.
○ Manage email distribution lists and segment audiences for targeted communication.
○ Produce simple presentations and fliers to support organizational events and initiatives
○ Write and edit press releases, blog posts, and other marketing materials
Communications Strategy and Brand Management
○ Manage the organization’s online presence and reputation—identifying unique opportunities to raise awareness of and validate the brand
○ Stay updated on industry trends and best practices in communications and marketing.
○ Develop a comprehensive content strategy and public relations plan. ○ Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure consistent messaging and brand identity align with organizational goals.
○ Creating a communication calendar to plan and coordinate all communications activities.
Measurement and Evaluation
○ Track and analyze the performance of all communications campaigns and activities
○ Identify and report on key metrics, such as website traffic, social media engagement, and email open rates
○ Use data and analytics to inform future content and communications strategies
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
○ Regularly update and maintain the organization’s website with fresh and relevant content.
○ Troubleshoot and address website issues promptly.
○ Support key fundraising initiatives by creating compelling fundraising materials and campaigns.
Outside The Lens is highly committed to diversity and a workplace environment that respects, appreciates, and values employees from all backgrounds; candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply. OTL is an equal employment opportunity employer. OTL’s policy is to not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status (including registered domestic partnership status), sex and gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), age (40 or over), sexual orientation, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. OTL also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. To comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and other applicable laws ensuring equal opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability, reasonable accommodations are made for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability unless an undue hardship, direct threat to health and safety or other job-related consideration exists.
This job description is intended as a guide to the general job responsibilities and is not inclusive of all everyday duties the employee is expected to perform.
Please send cover letter, resume, and at least three work samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject Line: Communications Specialist).
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com